Motorcycle Insurance Providers in Maine
ME Motorcycle Insurance in Maine
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements in Maine
- Minimum Liability Limits in ME: 50/100/25 
- 50 Required coverage up to $50,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 100 Required coverage up to $100,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 25 Required coverage up to $25,000 for property damage in an accident
- Note: In addition, policyholders must also carry at least $2,000 for medical payments.
- Insurer Verification of Insurance in ME 
- Insurer must verify financial responsibility or insurance after an accident or arrest.
Maine Motorcycle Insurance Liability Requirements
Mandatory motorcycle insurance coverage for riders in the state of Maine.
- Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in ME 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Uninsured motorist coverage
- Underinsured motorist coverage
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in Maine
- Motorcycle helmets required for 17 and younger. 
Motorcycle Insurance Laws & Regulations in Maine
Motorcycle License Regulations in Maine 
Detailed information about Maine laws and regulations regarding obtaining and maintaining a motorcycle license in the state.
- Motorcycle License Laws in ME
- Operation of a motorcycle, motor-drive cycle, or moped requires a special endorsement on a license.
- A person must be at least 16 years of age to apply for a motorcycle instruction permit.
- An instruction permit applicant must pass a vision test and a knowledge test related specifically to the safe operation of a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or moped. An applicant must complete a motorcycle driver education program.
- An instruction permit holder may operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or moped must wear a helmet. The permit does not allow the holder to carry a passenger or ride out of state.
Motorcycle Equipment Laws in Maine 
Various regulations and laws in Maine regarding riders and passengers of motorcycles, as well as the equipment used on bikes.
- Motorcycle Equipment Laws in ME
- Protective headgear is required for all riders under 18 and passengers of operators under 18, and operators with a learner's permit or within 1 year of successfully completing a driving test.
- Eye protection is not required for riders in Maine.
- Passenger footrest required if carrying a passenger.
- Handlebars of a motorcycle may not be higher than shoulder level of the driver.
- A motorcycle must have a mirror mounted and adjusted to allow the driver a clear, reflected view of the highway in the rear for a distance of at least 200 feet.
Rider & Driver Facts in Maine
Maine Motorcycle Registrations
- Registered Riders in ME 
- In 2012, Maine totaled 53,268 motorcycles registrations.
- This number ranks 41st in the United States by state (including Washington, D.C.).
- Note: ME ranked 42nd in the nation in total auto registrations (all vehicle types) in 2011.
Maine Highway Facts
- Speed Limits in ME 
- Rural interstates: 75 mph
- Urban interstates: 75 mph
- Other roads: 60 mph
- Consumption of Motor Fuel in ME 
- Maine ranked 40th in the U.S. in 2011 in total motor fuel consumption.
Maine Accident Reporting Regulations
- Accident Reporting in ME 
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported in cases of death or injury.
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported when property damage exceeds $1000.
Additional information about Maine
Maine as a whole has an approximate population of 1,328,361, which ranks 40th in the nation. 
ME Motorcycle Insurance
To learn more about Motorcycle Insurance in Maine, or for additional resources related to Maine Motorcycle Insurance, visit the Maine Department of Insurance.
Did you know?
In 2013, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured, down 5.4% from 93,000 in 2012 (Insurance Information Institute)
1. ^ Federal Highway Administration
2. ^ Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
3. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
4. ^ AAA Digest of Motor Laws and/or Maine DOT
5. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
6. ^ United States Census Bureau (2010)