Motorcycle Insurance Providers in West Virginia
WV Motorcycle Insurance in West Virginia
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements in West Virginia
- Minimum Liability Limits in WV: 20/40/10 
- 20 Required coverage up to $20,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 40 Required coverage up to $40,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 10 Required coverage up to $10,000 for property damage in an accident
- Insurer Verification of Insurance in WV 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
- Insurers must submit entire list of insurance in effect, which may be compared with registrations at a state agency. Also known as a computer data law.
West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance Liability Requirements
Mandatory motorcycle insurance coverage for riders in the state of West Virginia.
- Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in WV 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Uninsured motorist coverage
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in West Virginia
- Motorcycle helmets required for all riders. 
Motorcycle Insurance Laws & Regulations in West Virginia
Motorcycle License Regulations in West Virginia 
Detailed information about West Virginia laws and regulations regarding obtaining and maintaining a motorcycle license in the state.
- Motorcycle License Laws in WV
- A separate motorcycle examination is required to obtain a license that authorizes the operation of a motorcycle. The examination tests the applicant's knowledge of the operation of a motorcycle, any traffic laws relating to the operation of a motorcycle, and includes an actual demonstration of the ability to drive a motorcycle.
- Upon successful completion of an examination and paying the required fees, the DMV shall include a motorcycle endorsement on the license of the applicant or shall issue a special motorcycle-only license if the applicant does not possess a license.
Motorcycle Equipment Laws in West Virginia 
Various regulations and laws in West Virginia regarding riders and passengers of motorcycles, as well as the equipment used on bikes.
- Motorcycle Equipment Laws in WV
- The operator or passengers on a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle must wear a protective helmet with a neck or chin-strap.
- The operator or passengers on a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle must wear safety, shatter-resistant eyeglasses, eye goggles, or face shields. If any motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped is equipped with a windshield or windscreen, the windshield or windscreen must be constructed of safety, shatter-resistant material.
- Passenger footrest required if carrying a passenger.
- Every motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, and moped must display lighted headlamps at all times when on the highway.
- Every motorcycle must be equipped with at least 1 to 2 headlamps, at least 1 brake operated by hand or foot, and a rearview mirror.
Rider & Driver Facts in West Virginia
West Virginia Motorcycle Registrations
- Registered Riders in WV 
- In 2012, West Virginia totaled 57,921 motorcycles registrations.
- This number ranks 40th in the United States by state (including Washington, D.C.).
- Note: WV ranked 39th in the nation in total auto registrations (all vehicle types) in 2011.
West Virginia Highway Facts
- Speed Limits in WV 
- Rural interstates: 70 mph
- Urban interstates: 55 mph
- Other roads: 55 mph
- Consumption of Motor Fuel in WV 
- West Virginia ranked 38th in the U.S. in 2011 in total motor fuel consumption.
West Virginia Accident Reporting Regulations
- Accident Reporting in WV 
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported in cases of death or injury.
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported when property damage exceeds $1,000.
West Virginia Demographics
Age Breakdown in West Virginia
Approximately 78% residents in WV are 20 and older, while 18% are between ages 5 and 19, and 4% are under the age of 5. 
Household Income: West Virginia vs. U.S.
The median household income in the state of West Virginia is $40,937, which is about 30 percent less than the median income for the United States overall of $58,283. 
Income Breakdown in West Virginia
About 18% of households in WV have incomes below the poverty level. Below is the complete income breakdown for the state. 
Additional information about West Virginia
About West Virginia
West Virginia as a whole has an approximate population of 1,852,994, which ranks 38th in the nation. 
WV Motorcycle Insurance
To learn more about Motorcycle Insurance in West Virginia, or for additional resources related to West Virginia Motorcycle Insurance, visit the West Virginia Department of Insurance.
Did you know?
In some states with harsh winters, riders can opt for insurance coverage that is suspended during winter.
1. ^ Federal Highway Administration
2. ^ Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
3. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
4. ^ AAA Digest of Motor Laws and/or West Virginia DOT
5. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
6. ^ United States Census Bureau (2010)