Motorcycle Insurance Providers in New Mexico
NM Motorcycle Insurance in New Mexico
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements in New Mexico
- Minimum Liability Limits in NM: 25/50/10 
- 25 Required coverage up to $25,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 50 Required coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 10 Required coverage up to $10,000 for property damage in an accident
- Insurer Verification of Insurance in NM 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
- Insurer must verify randomly selected insurance policies upon request.
New Mexico Motorcycle Insurance Liability Requirements
Mandatory motorcycle insurance coverage for riders in the state of New Mexico.
- Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in NM 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in New Mexico
- Motorcycle helmets required for 17 and younger. 
Motorcycle Insurance Laws & Regulations in New Mexico
Motorcycle License Regulations in New Mexico 
Detailed information about New Mexico laws and regulations regarding obtaining and maintaining a motorcycle license in the state.
- Motorcycle License Laws in NM
- First-time applicants for a motorcycle license or an endorsement on their New Mexico driver's license may be required to complete a motorcycle driver education program as prescribed by the rules and regulations of the bureau.
- A restricted motorcycle license may be issued to any person 13 years of age or older who passes an examination prescribed by the MVD.
- A Class M license allows the holder to operate a 2- or 3-wheeled motorcycle.
Motorcycle Equipment Laws in New Mexico 
Various regulations and laws in New Mexico regarding riders and passengers of motorcycles, as well as the equipment used on bikes.
- Motorcycle Equipment Laws in NM
- Persons under the age of 18 are required to wear a helmet while riding on a motorcycle.
- Any person operating a motorcycle not having a fixed windshield of a type approved by regulation of the secretary shall wear an eye protective device which may be a faceshield attached to a safety helmet, goggles or safety eyeglasses.
- Passenger footrest required if carrying a passenger.
- The motorcycle must have a permanent and regular seat for each rider along with footrests and must be equipped with at least 1 headlamp on the front.
- No motorcycle shall be equipped in a manner such that it is incapable of turning a 90-degree angle within a circle having a radius of not more than 14 feet.
Rider & Driver Facts in New Mexico
New Mexico Motorcycle Registrations
- Registered Riders in NM 
- In 2012, New Mexico totaled 66,666 motorcycles registrations.
- This number ranks 37th in the United States by state (including Washington, D.C.).
- Note: NM ranked 37th in the nation in total auto registrations (all vehicle types) in 2011.
New Mexico Highway Facts
- Speed Limits in NM 
- Rural interstates: 75 mph
- Urban interstates: 75 mph
- Other roads: 55 mph
- Consumption of Motor Fuel in NM 
- New Mexico ranked 35th in the U.S. in 2011 in total motor fuel consumption.
New Mexico Accident Reporting Regulations
- Accident Reporting in NM 
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported in cases of death or injury.
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported when property damage exceeds $500.
Additional information about New Mexico
About New Mexico
New Mexico as a whole has an approximate population of 2,059,179, which ranks 36th in the nation. 
NM Motorcycle Insurance
To learn more about Motorcycle Insurance in New Mexico, or for additional resources related to New Mexico Motorcycle Insurance, visit the New Mexico Department of Insurance.
Did you know?
The type, style and age of the motorcycle you ride can affect how much you pay in motorcycle insurance premiums.
1. ^ Federal Highway Administration
2. ^ Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
3. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
4. ^ AAA Digest of Motor Laws and/or New Mexico DOT
5. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
6. ^ United States Census Bureau (2010)