Motorcycle Insurance Providers in Kentucky
KY Motorcycle Insurance in Kentucky
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements in Kentucky
- Minimum Liability Limits in KY: 25/50/10 
- 25 Required coverage up to $25,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 50 Required coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 10 Required coverage up to $10,000 for property damage in an accident
- Note: Instead of policy limits, policyholders can satisfy the requirement with a combined single limit policy.
- Insurer Verification of Insurance in KY 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
- Insurers must submit entire list of insurance in effect, which may be compared with registrations at a state agency. Also known as a computer data law.
Kentucky Motorcycle Insurance Liability Requirements
Mandatory motorcycle insurance coverage for riders in the state of Kentucky.
- Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in KY 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Personal injury protection coverage
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in Kentucky
- Motorcycle helmets required for 20 and younger. 
Motorcycle Insurance Laws & Regulations in Kentucky
Motorcycle License Regulations in Kentucky 
Detailed information about Kentucky laws and regulations regarding obtaining and maintaining a motorcycle license in the state.
- Motorcycle License Laws in KY
- Any person who already possesses a valid intermediate driver's license, or who is at least 18 years old, may apply for an instruction permit to operate a motorcycle. A motorcycle instruction permit is valid for 1 year.
- An applicant for a motorcycle license must pass a roadside demonstration test.
- Motorcycle rider training courses are provided free of charge to applicants under 18 years of age.
- Successful completion of an approved rider training course, which includes a minimum of 8 hours of hands-on instruction, permits exemption from the licensing skill test for motorcycle license applicants.
Motorcycle Equipment Laws in Kentucky 
Various regulations and laws in Kentucky regarding riders and passengers of motorcycles, as well as the equipment used on bikes.
- Motorcycle Equipment Laws in KY
- Any rider under the age of 21, or any person operating a motorcycle with an instruction permit, or any person who has held a motorcycle license for less than 1 year must wear a safety helmet. Riders 21 and older may ride without a helmet if they can provide proof of a medical insurance policy.
- All persons operating a motorcycle must wear protective eye gear.
- Passengers must use a footrest permanently attached to that vehicle and specifically designed to carry that person in a safe manner.
- Every motorcycle or moped must be equipped with at least 1 headlamp.
- All motorcycles must be equipped with a rearview mirror.
Rider & Driver Facts in Kentucky
Kentucky Motorcycle Registrations
- Registered Riders in KY 
- In 2012, Kentucky totaled 100,506 motorcycles registrations.
- This number ranks 28th in the United States by state (including Washington, D.C.).
- Note: KY ranked 26th in the nation in total auto registrations (all vehicle types) in 2011.
Kentucky Highway Facts
- Speed Limits in KY 
- Rural interstates: 65 mph (70 mph on specified segments of road)
- Urban interstates: 65 mph
- Other roads: 55 mph
- Consumption of Motor Fuel in KY 
- Kentucky ranked 25th in the U.S. in 2011 in total motor fuel consumption.
Kentucky Accident Reporting Regulations
- Accident Reporting in KY 
- Crashes are required to be reported in cases or death, injury, or when property damage exceeds $500.
- The deadline to file a report is 10 days.
Age Breakdown in Kentucky
Approximately 75% residents in KY are 20 and older, while 20% are between ages 5 and 19, and 5% are under the age of 5. 
Household Income: Kentucky vs. U.S.
The median household income in the state of Kentucky is $45,246, which is about 22 percent less than the median income for the United States overall of $58,283. 
Income Breakdown in Kentucky
About 19% of households in KY have incomes below the poverty level. Below is the complete income breakdown for the state. 
Additional information about Kentucky
Kentucky as a whole has an approximate population of 4,339,367, which ranks 25th in the nation. 
KY Motorcycle Insurance
To learn more about Motorcycle Insurance in Kentucky, or for additional resources related to Kentucky Motorcycle Insurance, visit the Kentucky Department of Insurance.
Did you know?
Currently, there is no motorcycle helmet use law in two states (Illinois and Iowa).
1. ^ Federal Highway Administration
2. ^ Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
3. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
4. ^ AAA Digest of Motor Laws and/or Kentucky DOT
5. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
6. ^ United States Census Bureau (2010)