Motorcycle Insurance Providers in Harrisburg, SD
Harrisburg, SD Motorcycle Insurance
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements in Harrisburg
- Minimum Liability Limits in Harrisburg, SD: 25/50/25 
- 25 Required coverage up to $25,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 50 Required coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 25 Required coverage up to $25,000 for property damage in an accident
- Insurer Verification of Insurance in Harrisburg 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
Harrisburg Motorcycle Insurance Liability Requirements
Mandatory motorcycle insurance coverage for riders in the state of Harrisburg, SD.
- Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in Harrisburg 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Uninsured motorist coverage
- Underinsured motorist coverage
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in Harrisburg
- Motorcycle helmets required for 17 and younger. 
Motorcycle Insurance Laws & Regulations in Harrisburg, SD
Motorcycle License Regulations in Harrisburg, SD 
Detailed information about Harrisburg laws and regulations regarding obtaining and maintaining a motorcycle license in the state.
- Motorcycle License Laws in Harrisburg
- A person may not operate a motorcycle, except a moped, without a motor vehicle driver's license or permit upon which a state testing officer has certified that such person is qualified to operate the motorcycle. However, the operator of a moped must have a valid motor vehicle operator's license or permit.
- The Department may waive the motorcycle testing requirements upon completion of an approved motorcycle safety course.
- Any minor who has successfully completed the Department approved motorcycle safety education courses, and a driver education course of another state that the Secretary of Public Safety has determined is acceptable, can qualify for a restricted minor's permit in 30 days.
- A motorcycle restricted minor's permit may be issued, upon application and payment of the proper fee, to a minor who is at least 14 years of age but less than 18 years of age. The applicant must have successfully passed all applicable tests and completed the requirements of an instruction permit and must have not been convicted of any traffic violation during the previous 6 months.
Motorcycle Equipment Laws in Harrisburg, SD 
Various regulations and laws in Harrisburg regarding riders and passengers of motorcycles, as well as the equipment used on bikes.
- Motorcycle Equipment Laws in Harrisburg
- All persons under the age of 18 must wear motorcycle safety helmets that are approved by the Department of Transportation. A person riding in an enclosed cab attached to a motorcycle does not have to wear a safety helmet.
- A motorcycle operator must wear an eye protective device unless the motorcycle is equipped with a windscreen of sufficient height and design that protects the motorcycle operator. When headlights are required to be on, a motorcycle operator cannot wear protective eye devices that are tinted or shaded to reduce the light transmission of the device below 35%.
- Passenger footrest required if carrying a passenger.
- The handlebars of a motorcycle must be no higher than the shoulder height of the person operating the motorcycle.
- Motorcycles must have at least 1 tail lamp, which when lighted emits a red light visible for a distance of 500 feet.
Rider & Driver Facts in Harrisburg, SD
Harrisburg Accident Reporting Regulations
- Accident Reporting in Harrisburg 
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported in case of death or injury.
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported when property damage is in excess of $1,000 for one person's property or $2,000 for an accident.
Harrisburg Highway Facts
- Speed Limits in Harrisburg 
- Rural interstates: 75 mph
- Urban interstates: 75 mph
- Other roads: 70 mph
- Consumption of Motor Fuel in SD 
- South Dakota ranked 45th in the U.S. in 2011 in total motor fuel consumption.
Harrisburg Motorcycle Registrations
- Registered Riders in SD 
- In 2012, South Dakota totaled 73,352 motorcycles registrations.
- This number ranks 34th in the United States by state (including Washington, D.C.).
- Note: SD ranked 44th in the nation in total auto registrations (all vehicle types) in 2011.
Additional information about South Dakota
The city of Harrisburg (South Dakota) has an approximate population of 4,089 and is located in Lincoln County. 
Harrisburg, SD Motorcycle Insurance
To learn more about about Motorcycle Insurance in Harrisburg, or for additional resources related to Harrisburg Motorcycle Insurance, visit the South Dakota Department of Insurance.
Did you know?
According to the Insurance Information Institute, there were about 8.5 million motorcycles on the road in 2012.
1. ^ Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
2. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
3. ^ AAA Digest of Motor Laws and/or South Dakota DOT
4. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
5. ^ Federal Highway Administration
6. ^ United States Census Bureau (2010)