Motorcycle Insurance Providers in Iowa
IA Motorcycle Insurance in Iowa
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements in Iowa
- Minimum Liability Limits in IA: 20/40/15 
- 20 Required coverage up to $20,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 40 Required coverage up to $40,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 15 Required coverage up to $15,000 for property damage in an accident
- Insurer Verification of Insurance in IA 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
Iowa Motorcycle Insurance Liability Requirements
Mandatory motorcycle insurance coverage for riders in the state of Iowa.
- Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in IA 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in Iowa
Motorcycle Insurance Laws & Regulations in Iowa
Motorcycle License Regulations in Iowa 
Detailed information about Iowa laws and regulations regarding obtaining and maintaining a motorcycle license in the state.
- Motorcycle License Laws in IA
- Class M driver's or Endorsement L licenses are issued for the operation of a motorcycle.
- Applicants under the age of 18 for a motorcycle driver's license must successfully complete a motorcycle education course.
Motorcycle Equipment Laws in Iowa 
Various regulations and laws in Iowa regarding riders and passengers of motorcycles, as well as the equipment used on bikes.
- Motorcycle Equipment Laws in IA
- Iowa does not have a motorcycle helmet law.
- Eye protection is not required for riders in Iowa.
- The motorcycle must be equipped with footrests for the passenger unless the passenger is riding in a sidecar or enclosed cab.
- A person must not operate or ride a motorcycle on the highways with another person on the motorcycle unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than 1 person.
- Passengers may ride upon the regular seat if designed for 2 persons, or upon another seat firmly attached at the rear.
Rider & Driver Facts in Iowa
Iowa Motorcycle Registrations
- Registered Riders in IA 
- In 2012, Iowa totaled 180,063 motorcycles registrations.
- This number ranks 18th in the United States by state (including Washington, D.C.).
- Note: IA ranked 27th in the nation in total auto registrations (all vehicle types) in 2011.
Iowa Highway Facts
- Speed Limits in IA 
- Rural interstates: 70 mph
- Urban interstates: 55 mph
- Other roads: 55 mph
- Consumption of Motor Fuel in IA 
- Iowa ranked 28th in the U.S. in 2011 in total motor fuel consumption.
Iowa Accident Reporting Regulations
- Accident Reporting in IA 
- Drivers are not required to fill out a DOT report for an accident resulting in personal injury, death, or damage of $1,500 or more if the accident is investigated by a law enforcement agency.
- If required to submit an accident report, the deadline is 3 days.
Additional information about Iowa
Iowa as a whole has an approximate population of 3,046,355, which ranks 30th in the nation. 
IA Motorcycle Insurance
To learn more about Motorcycle Insurance in Iowa, or for additional resources related to Iowa Motorcycle Insurance, visit the Iowa Department of Insurance.
Did you know?
Currently, there is no motorcycle helmet use law in two states (Illinois and Iowa).
1. ^ Federal Highway Administration
2. ^ Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
3. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
4. ^ AAA Digest of Motor Laws and/or Iowa DOT
5. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
6. ^ United States Census Bureau (2010)