Motorcycle Insurance Providers in Indiana
IN Motorcycle Insurance in Indiana
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements in Indiana
- Minimum Liability Limits in IN: 25/50/10 
- 25 Required coverage up to $25,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 50 Required coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 10 Required coverage up to $10,000 for property damage in an accident
- Insurer Verification of Insurance in IN 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
Indiana Motorcycle Insurance Liability Requirements
Mandatory motorcycle insurance coverage for riders in the state of Indiana.
- Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in IN 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in Indiana
- Motorcycle helmets required for 17 and younger. 
Motorcycle Insurance Laws & Regulations in Indiana
Motorcycle License Regulations in Indiana 
Detailed information about Indiana laws and regulations regarding obtaining and maintaining a motorcycle license in the state.
- Motorcycle License Laws in IN
- The operator of a motorcycle may have either a motorcycle learner's permit or a commercial or a regular driver's license, chauffeur's license, or public passenger chauffeur's license with a motorcycle endorsement.
- A temporary motorcycle learner's permit can be issued to a person who holds a valid operator, chauffer or public passenger chauffer base license and passes a vision screening and motorcycle knowledge test. A learner's permit allows the driver to drive on the highway for a period of 1 year as long as the driver wears a helmet, does not carry passengers, and only operates the motorcycle during daylight hours.
- A motorcycle license endorsement may be issued if the operator passes a motorcycle skills test or provides proof of completing the Motorcycle Operator's Safety Education Training course as well as a vision screening or has a current motorcycle operator endorsement or license from any other jurisdiction and successfully completes the written test.
- A motorcycle learner's permit cannot be issued to a person younger than 16 and 180 days of age.
Motorcycle Equipment Laws in Indiana 
Various regulations and laws in Indiana regarding riders and passengers of motorcycles, as well as the equipment used on bikes.
- Motorcycle Equipment Laws in IN
- Helmet is required for all riders and passengers under the age of 18.
- Eye protection is required for all riders and passengers under the age of 18.
- Passenger footrest required if carrying a passenger.
- A motorcycle operated on the roads of Indiana must be equipped with handlebars that are not higher than the shoulders of the driver when seated in the saddle.
- Motorcycles must have good working front and rear brakes, and be equipped with lights and reflectors meeting the standards of the U.S. DOT.
Rider & Driver Facts in Indiana
Indiana Motorcycle Registrations
- Registered Riders in IN 
- In 2012, Indiana totaled 223,103 motorcycles registrations.
- This number ranks 12th in the United States by state (including Washington, D.C.).
- Note: IN ranked 13th in the nation in total auto registrations (all vehicle types) in 2011.
Indiana Highway Facts
- Speed Limits in IN 
- Rural interstates: 70 mph (Trucks: 65 mph)
- Urban interstates: 55 mph
- Other roads: 55 mph
- Consumption of Motor Fuel in IN 
- Indiana ranked 13th in the U.S. in 2011 in total motor fuel consumption.
Indiana Accident Reporting Regulations
- Accident Reporting in IN 
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported if they result in death or injury.
- Crashes are required to be immediately reported if property damage exceeds $750.
Age Breakdown in Indiana
Approximately 73% residents in IN are 20 and older, while 21% are between ages 5 and 19, and 5% are under the age of 5. 
Household Income: Indiana vs. U.S.
The median household income in the state of Indiana is $51,347, which is about 12 percent less than the median income for the United States overall of $58,283. 
Income Breakdown in Indiana
About 15% of households in IN have incomes below the poverty level. Below is the complete income breakdown for the state. 
Additional information about Indiana
Indiana as a whole has an approximate population of 6,483,802, which ranks 14th in the nation. 
IN Motorcycle Insurance
To learn more about Motorcycle Insurance in Indiana, or for additional resources related to Indiana Motorcycle Insurance, visit the Indiana Department of Insurance.
Did you know?
According to the Insurance Information Institute, there were about 8.5 million motorcycles on the road in 2012.
1. ^ Federal Highway Administration
2. ^ Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
3. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
4. ^ AAA Digest of Motor Laws and/or Indiana DOT
5. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
6. ^ United States Census Bureau (2010)