Motorcycle Insurance Providers in California
CA Motorcycle Insurance in California
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements in California
- Minimum Liability Limits in CA: 15/30/5 
- 15 Required coverage up to $15,000 for one individual injured in an accident
- 30 Required coverage up to $30,000 for all persons injured in an accident
- 5 Required coverage up to $5,000 for property damage in an accident
- Note: CA has a California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan for low-income drivers with low-cost policy limits of $10,000/$20,000/$3,000.
- Insurer Verification of Insurance in CA 
- Insurer must notify Department of Motor Vehicles or other state agency of cancellation or nonrenewal.
- Insurer must verify financial responsibility or insurance after an accident or arrest.
- Insurers must submit entire list of insurance in effect, which may be compared with registrations at a state agency. Also known as a computer data law.
California Motorcycle Insurance Liability Requirements
Mandatory motorcycle insurance coverage for riders in the state of California.
- Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in CA 
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in California
- Motorcycle helmets required for all riders. 
Motorcycle Insurance Laws & Regulations in California
Motorcycle License Regulations in California 
Detailed information about California laws and regulations regarding obtaining and maintaining a motorcycle license in the state.
- Motorcycle License Laws in CA
- Motorcycles may be operated by holders of instruction permits who are at least 15 years and 6 months old and have completed both an approved driver education course and a driver training course, or by holders of instruction permits who are at least 17 years and 6 months old.
- Motorcycles may not be operated by either instruction permit holder after dark or on freeways and may not carry passengers.
- Class M1 or M2 licenses shall not be issued to persons under 21 unless they provide evidence of completion of an approved motorcycle safety training program.
Motorcycle Equipment Laws in California 
Various regulations and laws in California regarding riders and passengers of motorcycles, as well as the equipment used on bikes.
- Motorcycle Equipment Laws in CA
- All riders and passengers of motorcycles and mopeds must wear a safety helmet.
- Eye protection is not required for riders in California.
- A person shall not drive a two-wheel motorcycle that is equipped with handlebars so positioned that the hands of the driver, when upon the grips, are more than six inches above his or her shoulder height when sitting astride the seat.
- Motorcycles must have at least 1 mirror located so as to give the driver a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
- Motorcycles must have 1 or 2 head-lamps that turn on automatically when the engine is started and remain lighted while the engine is running.
Rider & Driver Facts in California
California Motorcycle Registrations
- Registered Riders in CA 
- In 2012, California totaled 787,521 motorcycles registrations.
- This number ranks 1st in the United States by state (including Washington, D.C.).
- Note: CA ranked 1st in the nation in total auto registrations (all vehicle types) in 2011.
California Highway Facts
- Speed Limits in CA 
- Rural interstates: 70 mph (Trucks: 55 mph)
- Urban interstates: 65 mph (Trucks: 55 mph)
- Other roads: 65 mph (Trucks: 55 mph)
- Consumption of Motor Fuel in CA 
- California ranked 1st in the U.S. in 2011 in total motor fuel consumption.
California Accident Reporting Regulations
- Accident Reporting in CA 
- Crashes are required to be reported in cases of death or injury or when property damage exceeds $750.
- Reports must be filed within 10 days.
Age Breakdown in California
Approximately 0% residents in CA are 20 and older, while 0% are between ages 5 and 19, and 0% are under the age of 5. 
Household Income: California vs. U.S.
The median household income in the state of California is $, which is about 100 percent less than the median income for the United States overall of $58,283. 
Income Breakdown in California
About 0% of households in CA have incomes below the poverty level. Below is the complete income breakdown for the state. 
Additional information about California
California as a whole has an approximate population of 37,253,956, which ranks 1st in the nation. 
CA Motorcycle Insurance
To learn more about Motorcycle Insurance in California, or for additional resources related to California Motorcycle Insurance, visit the California Department of Insurance.
Did you know?
In some states with harsh winters, riders can opt for insurance coverage that is suspended during winter.
1. ^ Federal Highway Administration
2. ^ Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
3. ^ Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
4. ^ AAA Digest of Motor Laws and/or California DOT
5. ^ U.S. Department of Transportation
6. ^ United States Census Bureau (2010)